Fort Wayne, Ind.— Easterseals Arc of Northeast Indiana was recently awarded a $3,650 grant from the Indiana Arts Commission to support a range of artistic opportunities for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The grant will help provide art experiences for individuals in a variety of Easterseals Arc programs at Easterseals Arc in Fort Wayne, Easterseals RISE in Angola and community venues.
Art activities will include explorations of music, visual arts, creative movement, ballroom dance and creative entrepreneurship. Community-based experiences will be incorporated when it is safe to do so. The art program is made possible by the support of the Indiana Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal agency.
Art program goals include:
- Increasing artistic skills in a variety of media/art forms/genres
- Creating opportunities for self-expression
- Relating art with personal meaning and external context
- Developing art and music vocabulary
- Increasing cognitive skills, social skills, communication skills
- Building positive relationships with people and places
- Enhancing community integration