Angola, Ind. — United Way of DeKalb County has awarded a grant of $10,000 to Easterseals RISE to support day programming for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
The grant will help fund operating costs for day services at Easterseals RISE, including:
- Activities customized to meet participant needs and interests in partnership with community businesses and organizations
- Ballroom dance classes taught by professionals from Fred Astaire Dance Studios
- Karate classes taught by Lions Karate
- Instruction on independent living skills such as financial literacy, time management, housekeeping, health and hygiene, cooking and online safety
- Esports in partnership with Trine University
Meaningful, engaging programming for individuals with disabilities enhances overall health and well-being; develops life skills; improves work readiness; improves social and communication skills; and fosters progress on personal goals.